A 40-year old woman was burnt beyond recognition while property worth thousands of dollars was destroyed after fire gutted London Lodge flat in a suspected case of suicide in Harareâ€™s Avenues area.
In a bizarre incident that left tenants at London Lodge along Mazowe Avenue in Harare shocked, a 40-year old woman is alleged to have set herself ablaze in her apartment resulting in the whole block of flats catching fire.
The fire destroyed property worth thousands of dollars belonging to other tenants.
When ZBC News arrived at the site, members of the police forensic department were conducting tests to ascertain the cause of the fire.
Eye witnesses expressed shock at the incident.
â€œWe are still shocked …. we have lost everything,â€ said one tenant.
Police spokesperson, Inspector James Sabau appealed to the public to seek proper counselling when confronted with social problems.
â€œPeople should not think that suicide is the solution always,â€ Inspector Sabau said.
Some people who refused to speak on camera said the deceased had been behaving strangely since a local newspaper last month ran a story that she had been caught with a babyâ€™s finger in her handbag.
The name of the deceased is still being withheld till her next of kin have been informed.