zim celebrates.jpgThe Zimbabwean senior men’s soccer team has sealed a 5-1 aggregate win over Swaziland following a 3 nil win in the second leg of an African Nations Championship qualifier played at Rufaro Stadium yesterday afternoon.
Isihlangu were the first to get a crack at goal as early as the 4th minute but found Warriors goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda in defiant mood.


The Warriors didn’t take long to respond and surged into the lead in the 9th minute through Ramson Zhuwawo who pounced after the Swaziland goalkeeper headed a ball into his path.. The Warriors continued mounting pressure which culminated in their second goal, a trade mark header by the dangerous and potent Nyashwa Mushekwi.

The second half saw Zimbabwe in the ascendancy and in total control of proceedings. The hosts dominated the exchanges in what turned out to be a one-sided affair, and could have scored several goals had it not been for lack of precision in front of goal.


Isihlangu looked jaded and out of sorts and failed to over any resistance whatsoever. It would only be a matter of time before the Swazi’s would crumble under the Warriors barrage of attacks. The match was effectively killed off as a contest when Nyasha Mushekwi pulled the trigger in the 78th minute, following some good work on the left by the enterprising Tafadzwa Rusike. Despite creating numerous scoring chances, the Warriors somehow failed to put them away.


While he was pleased with the result, Warriors coach Sunday Chidzambwa was however not pleased with the way the team played in the first half, while Swaziland coach Ephraim Mashaba was gracious in defeat..

The Warriors three nil triumph over Swaziland ensured the Warriors sealed an emphatic 5-1 aggregate win having beaten Isihlangu by two goals to one in the first leg of an African Nations Championship first round qualifier.


The Warriors will now face the Seychelles in the second round of qualifiers. Seychelles progressed to the second round following a 2-1 aggregate win over Namibia.