Two people have been arrested so far as the police track down touts involved in Tuesday’s assault that led to the death of a traveller, Mr Matheas Gore, at the illegal pick up point for Mutare buses near Road Port in Harare.
A survey by the ZBC News revealed that errant long distance buses were still picking up commuters despite the ultimatum banning the terminus.
Touts operating at the illegal pick up point have however deserted the spot as police continue with its hunt for the murder suspects.
Police Chief Spokesperson, Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba said there is need for unity of purpose by stakeholders to prevent the chaos caused by touts.
She vowed that all the culprits will be brought to book, adding that the police will not allow lawlessness.
At another pick up point along Samora Machel Avenue near show grounds, touts continued with their illegal activities, running all over the place disturbing innocent travellers.
Last year, a pregnant woman died after being assaulted by touts at Mbudzi round about with yet another woman posting on social media her ordeal at the hands of the errant touts at the same pick up point.
Meanwhile, the Minister of State for Harare Metropolitan Province, Cde Miriam Chikukwa has visited the gore family to console them following yesterday’s incident.
In her condolence message, Cde Chikukwa said it was unfortunate that a life had to be lost under such circumstances, and promised that responsible authorities are working to address the situation of errand bus owners, drivers and touts.
Family spokesperson, Mr Charles Timothy said the family is still in shock over their relatives’ death and called for justice to prevail.
The late Mr Gore was allegedly assaulted by touts in the early hours of Tuesday in company of his wife while trying to board a bus to Mutare heading Mozambique.