Alert neighbours in Avondale West averted disaster this Saturday by quickly notifying the fire brigade of a fire outbreak and at the same time using other means to put out a blaze at a house within the neighbourhood.
Tenants at House Number 8 Longley Drive in Avondale West were surprised to see their security wall on fire, and within minutes pine stumps that were running parallel to the security wall had also caught fire.
A tenant at the affected house, Mr Mugove Bvudzijena and a neighbour, Mrs Doreen Choto said the inferno engulfed the wall so quickly that people had little time to react.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire brigade responded swiftly and was at the scene within minutes after the fire started.
However, the fire fighters didn’t have adequate water and they ended up fetching water from a nearby hydrant.
Central Fire Station Officer, Mr Moses Bvumavaranda urged people to keep the fire department emergency numbers handy so that in times of need, no time will be wasted looking for the numbers.
The fire destroyed the security wall and everything that was in the garage, including a BMW engine.
But most of the furniture that was in the room closest to the garage was spared.
Neighbours and later the fire brigade, managed to put out the fire before it spread.
Neighbours were worried that if the fire had managed to spread, there was the risk that the flames were going to interfere with a ZESA cable that is hanging precariously in the affected yard.