|MDC-T activists disrupt Madzore trial|
|Monday, 04 June 2012 19:15|
Violence reared its ugly head when hundreds of MDC-T party activists besieged the High Court in Harare to demonstrate against what they termed the continued detention and delayed trial of Solomon Madzore and 28 others who are being charged with the murder of ZRP Inspector, Petros Mutedza.
When ZBC News arrived at the High Court, police details had managed to disperse the rowdy crowd.
Reliable witnesses said several youths linked to the MDC-T were responsible for the violent demonstrations which almost brought activities at the High Court to a halt.
Justice Chinembiri Bhunu then presided over the trial where Madzore and his accomplices appeared facing charges of murder and public violence.
In his state outline from the Attorney General’s office, Mr Edward Nyazamba indicated to the court that on the 29th of May 2011, the 29 accused persons were a part of a large group of MDC-T activists who gathered at Glenview 1 shopping centre for an unsanctioned gathering they termed the ‘MDC-T T-shirt visibility day.’
Six police officers commanded by the late Inspector Petros Mutedza peacefully dispersed the crowd, which is said to have regrouped at Munyarari Night Club at Glen View 3 shopping centre where they started chanting party slogans.
When Inspector Mutedza and his police reaction team confronted the group, it became violent and started shouting ‘Matatya Ngaawurawe,’ meaning kill the frogs, before throwing stones, empty bottles and bricks to the police officers.
In their defence outline, the accused being represented by four defence counsels all contend that the police never carried out investigations, but merely pounced on those involved in MDC-T politics in the area, particularly those holding strategic positions.
They further allege that they are about to be tried for offences which they were never advised of, which they were never charged for and never placed on remand for.
Justice Chinembiri Bhunu then conceded to the request by the defence counsels to first have the bail application before the resumption of trial given that the accused had been incarcerated since late last year.
The matter will continue this Tuesday where the judge will listen to applications from both the state and defence counsels.