The ruling Zanu PF party says its internal democratic processes will now be run by a nine member National Elections Commission (NEC) which takes over from the National Elections Directorate.
Party National Political Commission Retired Lieutenant-General Engelbert Rugeje and chairperson of the commission said presently the commission is seized with preparatory work for the forthcoming by- election slated for 24 November in Mutoko North constituency.
The Mutoko North seat became vacant upon the elevation of Cde Marble Chinomona to Senate President.
Last year the primaries in the ruling party witnessed a number of logistical challenges with some areas registering complaints from some aggrieved candidates.
However, according to Cde Rugeje, the newly formed commission has been adequately trained for the tedious task of elections.
Names of the NEC members
Name Province Deployed
- Lieutenant General (Retired) Dr Engelbert Rugeje Chairman
- Professor Ngwabi Bhebhe Mashonaland West
- Cde Joshua Mzamba Mashonaland West
- Cde Irene Mutumbwa Harare
- Professor Simbi Mubako Harare
- Cde Cecilia Paradza Mashonaland Central
- Professor Charity Manyeruke Mashonaland Central
- Cde Ambassador Zenzo Nsimbi Manicaland
- Cde Tinaye Chigudu Manicaland