Progress on the repairing of Nkankezi Bridge in Matabeleland South province has excited motorists who use the road which links Zvishavane and Bulawayo through the Gwanda highway.
The bridge was damaged by the Cyclone Dineo induced floods, and motorists have commended the government for moving in swiftly to carry out repairs at the site, adding that its overall response to the disaster was remarkable.
Confirmation from the Matabeleland South Provincial Road Engineer in charge of the site, has indicated that within the original eight weeks timeframe set for completion of the project, motorists will be able to use the bridge.
A detour had been created as motorists reverted to the small old bridge after the disaster occurred.
According to the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructural Development, the repairs are proceeding on smoothly.
- Backfilling of the bridge which is at 70% progress.
- Repair of damaged approaches is at 25%.
- Erosion protection works are at 15%.
- Detour construction is at 100% progress and, continuous maintenance is being done on the detour.
- Overall progress is at 40%. Project expected to be completed by end of June.