The government says the opposition MDC Alliance and its allies are behind the violence that rocked some parts of the country today leading to loss of life and damage to property.
In a statement this evening, Minister of State for National Security Owen Ncube said they have since activated all its security organs and investigations are underway.
“The prevailing situation in the country is a culmination of a well orchestrated series of events by the MDC Alliance working in cahoots with NGOs, Civic Society, youth organisations, pressure groups and individuals. Regrettably, this has resulted in the loss of life and property including injury to police officers and members of the public. We express our deepest condolences to the bereaving families,” said Cde Ncube.
Over 200 unruly elements were arrested in connection with the violence, which authorities said were well-planned.
He added that the Government was aware of meetings organised by the Crisis Coalition from December 3-7 last year to foment disturbances in the country.
“These meetings were coordinated by Crisis Coalition and some identified foreign agents. There were other meetings such as the one held in 11th January 2019 in Belvedere, whose agenda was to plan for the disturbance of peace and render the country ungovernable.
“Pursuant to the nefarious agenda, the MDC Alliance activated its notorious terror groups which include the so called Democratic Resistance Committees and the paramilitary Vanguard,” he added.
The Minister also said the timing of today’s events, which come as President Emmerson Mnangagwa is in Eastern Europe, is meant to “undermine the ongoing re-engagement efforts of the President to market Zimbabwe at the high level for a such as the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.”
Minister Ncube confirmed that more than 200 people have so far been arrested in connection with the violence.
He urged members of the public to go about their normal day to day activities without fear as their security is guaranteed.