Mali’s government has announced the sacking of top military officers and the dissolution of a militia, a day after the killing of more than 130 people.

Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga said on Sunday new military chiefs would be named, and that the Dan Nan Ambassagou Association, comprising Dogon hunters, had been dissolved.

“The protection of the population will remain the monopoly of the state,” said Maiga.

Survivors of Saturday’s attack said ethnic Dogon hunters carried out the raid in Ogossagou, a village in central Mali inhabited by the Fulani community.

Later on Sunday, it was reported that army chief of staff General M’Bemba Moussa Keita was removed and replaced by General Abdoulaye Coulibaly, while chief of land forces General Abdrahamane Baby was replaced by Brigadier-General Keba Sangare.

The developments came hours after President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita called an emergency meeting in response to the attack, in which at least 134 men, women and children were killed.

Reports say the victims were shot or hacked to death with machetes.

It was the deadliest attack since the end of the 2013 French-led military intervention that drove back armed groups who had taken control of northern Mali.

-Aljazeera