dembare vs warroirs.jpgGunners put a dent on Dynamos’ title aspirations with a one nil win over Dembare in a league match played at Rufaro Stadium.

The match was however preceded by demonstration of arrogance  by the Gunners marshals who were manning the VIP entry point to the stadium.


The over zealous marshals refused to grant the zbc sport news crew and other members of the media entry into the stadium although they had arrived well on time. It’s alleged that Gunners owner Cuthbert Chitima issued instructions that the gate should be kept closed even though there were media personnel who were literally begging to be allowed into the stadium. 


That ice cream vendors were being given priority to enter ahead of the members of the media is quite shameful. The marshals had also clashed with the ZBC Outside Broadcast crew earlier also over entry into the stadium.


When the sports news crew eventually made their way into the stadium through an entry point designated for the public after begging those manning the turnstiles, Gunners had already scored meaning the sports news crew could only catch up with the action 10 minutes after kickoff.


On the field, Gunners early goal rattled Dynamos, resulting in the Glamour Boys game plan being thrown into disarray.

Gunners had their tails up following the goal and caused some anxious moments in the Dynamos rearguard whenever they launched an attack.


The Glamour Boys   gradually  began to find their footing as the first half wore on and created some scoring opportunities, a typical example being Benjamin Marere’s failure to connect following a cross by Evans Gwekwerere in the 35th minute.

The second half saw Dynamos upping the tempo in their quest for an equaliser. In the 51st minute Archiford Gutu’s cross failed to find any takers inside the penalty box, much to the disappointment of the Dembare fans. Dembare huffed and puffed but all the sweat did not yield a positive outcome.


Gunners on the other hand refused to be pinned back and launched attacks of their own.


Ali Sadiki almost piled further misery on Dembare, but his curling shot from inside the penalty box  sailed just over the cross bar.

Dynamos were thrown a lifeline when they were awarded a penalty for what was the referee adjudged a handling offence in the penalty box.


Washington Arubi stepped up hoping for a repeat of the heroics that saw his penalty sealing Dembare’s win over Motor Action a week ago, but there was to be no heroes tag this time around as he sent his spot-kick wide to ensure Gunners preserved their slender lead.


Both sides created chances as the clock ticked towards the 90th minute, but the scoreline remained unchanged to hand Gunners a one nil victory.


The win ensured Gunners maintained fourth position on the standings with 46 points to their credit, while Dynamos remain in second position, a point behind leaders Motor Action.


In other matches, Highlanders continued with their trailblazing run with a one nil win over Eagles at Barbourfields Stadium.


The match pitting Shooting Stars and Hwange at the Colliery was postponed after the Wild Boys experienced a breakdown en route to the colliery. The match has been rescheduled to Wednesday at the same venue.