zncc vice prez ozwell binha.jpgGovernment is expected to launch the Medium Term Plan (MTP) next month amid calls from stakeholders that the policy should focus on financial mobilisation from internal resources.

The five year economic blue print which was approved by cabinet last month is expected to be operational with effect from next month as government is focusing on raising at least US$9 billion to sustain key economic sectors.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Economic Planning and Investment Promotion, Dr. Desire Sibanda confirmed in a telephone interview with ZBC News that the plan will be launched on July 7 this year, paving way for the public and private sector to play an important role in economic revival.

While industry and households are awaiting the launch of the MTP, the Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce (ZNCC) vice president, Mr. Oswell Binha says the five year economic blue print should solve working capital constraints affecting industry.

“We hope this policy will be vital to restore economic growth,” said Mr. Binha.

The Medium Term Plan, which is a successor to the Short Term Emergency Recovery Programme (STERP) is expected to be launched when economic sectors such as mining and agriculture are showing signs of recovery.

An economic commentator, Mr. Trevor Jakachira believes that the success of the five year economic blue print will depend on a tight monitoring system to ensure that its objectives yield positive results.

“This is coming at the right time and we hope it will be favourable,” Mr. Jakachira said.

Some of the main targets of the plan, include infrastructure development, employment creation, entrepreneurship development, macro-economic stability and retiring the country’s foreign debt to 60% of the Gross Domestic Product by 2015 among others.