The government says it is investigating all reported cases of abduction and torture being perpetrated by unknown assailants, which it believes constitute “third force“.
In a statement, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services, Mr Nick Mangwana said since the emergence of the new dispensation, there has always been a third force.
which comprises of discharged and disgruntled former members of the old establishment, some of whom are trained adding that so far, three cases of abduction and torture have been reported.
He said Mr Morgen Gumbo aged 46 of Harare’s suburb of Mufakose reported that he was abducted and assaulted on Tuesday this week.
“Earlier in the day, there had been a reported violent altercation between Mr Gumbo and a Mr Shamboc Chivese, also of Mufakose, over allegations of abuse of constituency development funds by a local legislator, Susan Matsunga. This is reported to have degenerated into a fistfight and open threats,” Mr Mangwana said.
Mr Mangwana confirmed that the police are investigating whether the alleged abduction and the said violent incident are related.
“The police have also received reports of abductions and assault of Blessing Kanotunga from Mufakose and Tatenda Mombeyarara from Chitungwiza yesterday (Wednesday),” he said.
Mr Mangwana said the police will leave no stone unturned in efforts to detect and act upon any violation of human rights.