Flights at Gatwick have been suspended again due to a new “suspected drone sighting”.
A spokeswoman for the UK’s second biggest airport said: “We are just hearing a report of another drone sighting that we are investigating. As we look into it we have taken the precaution of suspending flights”.
Aircraft have been circling above the area as they are currently unable to land.
The sighting reportedly occurred this evening.
The Ministry of Defence has not confirmed the sighting but Sussex Police said its officers were investigating.
Gatwick had reopened earlier for a few hours after drones flying over the airfield closed it for more than a day.
The airport was initially closed on Wednesday evening following the first drone sighting.
Police believe more than one unmanned aircraft is responsible and are investigating the possibility of multiple culprits.
Earlier, officers said they had identified “persons of interest”.
In a statement, Sussex Police confirmed operations had again been suspended for safety reasons.
The force said: “Sussex Police is supporting the airport and is proactively deploying significant resources to seek and locate the drone and its operator and to ensure the safety of the travelling public and all those in and around the airport”.
Passengers have hit out at the people behind the disruption.
Gatwick said there had been no take-offs or landings since the latest sighting suspended flights.
Eleven flights have been diverted so far.
During disruption on yesterday, 760 flights had been due to arrive or depart from the airport but all were grounded.
155 flights were cancelled today while the airport returned to normal.
Gatwick’s chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe said that 120 000 passengers due to arrive or fly had not travelled since Wednesday night.