Madagascar’s health service ministry says eight children have died after suffering acute food poisoning believed to have been caused by eating sea turtle meat in northern Madagascar.

The consumption of sea turtles and 24 other fish species by humans is not recommended by experts, as they are known to consume toxic algae that can prove lethal in the summer months.

Police confirmed that all of those who died were children.

In December last year, eight people died from acute food poisoning in the northern province of Antsiranana after eating contaminated sardinella fish.

-News24