A Makhanda family in Sunninghill suburb of Bulawayo has lost property worth thousands of dollars after their house caught fire.

According to Mr Samson Makhanda, the family home was reduced to rubbles as a result of a huge inferno.

Makhanda says a suspected electrical fault saw the main bedroom engulfed in flames before the whole house caught fire, destroying all the furniture.

By the time the fire and ambulance services arrived at the scene, most of the property and the structure itself had been destroyed.

Fire incidents in Bulawayo have been on the rise with millions of dollars worth of property having been destroyed last year.

The fire and ambulance services has raised an alert in the city warning residents to be cautious when engaging electrical contractors who do installations.