capsbig.pngCaps United collected maximum points for the first time this season after beating defending league champions Gunners by two goals to one in a Premiership encounter at Rufaro Stadium this afternoon.

After having amassed just two points in their first three matches of the current campaign, the clash with Gunners was a do or die encounter for Caps United whose fans were yearning for some appeasement.

Consequently the Green Machine came out of the blocks quickly and sounded warning shots as early as the third minute when Gilbert Mapemba’s rasping  just missed the target.


It didn’t take Makepekepe long to open the scoring through who else but regular hitman Nyasha Mushekwi who made his presence felt with a well taken goal in the eleventh minute.

 Gunners were presented with a chance to  restore parity in the 18th minute but captain Ramson Zhuwawo’s shot at goal was effectively dealt with by Caps United goal minder Edmore Sibanda.

Caps’ response was immediate and they almost doubled their lead but Marvel Samaneka was prevented from doing so right on the goal line. Caps United extended their lead in the 43rd minute, through a spectacular own goal by Carlington Nyadombo, who hit the back of his own net after miscuing a header.

Gunners reduced arrears through Norman Maroto in the 58th minute , the striker rifling home from a goalmouth scramble. David Rediyoni almost leveled proceedings in the 76th minute, but his shot just missed the target.

In what must rank as one of the most incomprehensible incidents, which can best be summed up as incompetent officiating, match referee Jacob Kuuya gave Carlington Nyadobo a red card after succumbing to confusion that he had earlier issued him with a yellow card. The referee did not budge despite the remonstration of the Gunners players.

 It had to take the intervention of the fourth official Ruzive Ruzive to knock some sense into him, upon which Kuuya then reversed the red card and asked Nyadombo to return to the field of play.

Gunners almost snatched a dramatic equalizer in the third minute of injury time, but the golden opportunity somehow failed to find any takers as Redhiyoni and Maroto being the main culprits. 

After the match, Caps United coach Lloyd Chitembwe said the match had gone according to their game plan while Gunners coach Darlington Dodo lamented what he deemed lackluster defending.
Caps United’s first league win of the season took their points tally to five from four matches while for Gunners the defeat was their second in three encounters.
 Tomorrow, unbeaten Harare giants Dynamos take on Lengthens at Rufaro Stadium in a match scheduled to kick o