Banket Primary School hostel was last night gutted by fire.

The fire destroyed the 2nd floor apartment of the school’s hostel block.

The hostel houses 96 pupils and the destroyed apartment was used by girls.

At the time the fire broke out, all the students were in the dining hall.

School head Mr Nelson Nzombe suspects that the fire could have been caused by an electrical fault.

Members of the community helped in extinguishing the fire and switched off power at the school as part of measures to control the fire and minimise damage to the hostel.

The boarders had to be taken to Sinoia Primary School in Chinhoyi where they were sheltered over night.

Mr Nzombe said the school has in the meantime been offered boarding facilities at Kids Zone Academy in Banket where 20 girls will be accommodated while boys will continue to use their apartment at the damaged hostel.

The other remaining girls will be accommodated by relatives in Banket.

The value of the property destroyed is yet to be ascertained.